Apurva Dubey — A regular and consistent schedule helped clearing IAS

Apurva Dubey has cleared Civil Service Examination 2012. This was her 2nd attempt and she got 19th rank.

Her optional paper was Public Administration and Law. In essay paper she got 110 out of 200. In GS she got 282(144+138), PA 196(75+121), LAW 297(148+149) out of 600. In interview 186(300). Overall she got 1071 out of 2300 which is 46.57%.

Question: What was your success plan?

Apurva: I was hopeful of making it to the list, although not certain. But, rank was something I had not expected. I was elated after hearing the news of it.

I was pursuing Law, I did not consult regarding it. I had faith in my understanding of it. But, for choosing Public Administration as optional subject, I did take up advice of my friends, family and after having a look at the syllabus, I decided to take it.

I had been reading IAS toppers interviews and for that matter every interview in certain way motivated me.

It was certainly a planned decision. It was not per se parent’s wish; yet, they really supported me throughout my journey.

I was focused determined and also I abided by the advice tendered by friends and teachers.

Question: How did plan for Preliminary examination.

Apurva: It requires exhaustive study. Certain topics have to be dealt in greater details and before exams a quick revision is required.

Question: What is your opinion about General Studies?

Apurva: .It is vast but recently a shift has been seen from factual to Questions requiring understanding which is a good trend.

Question: What is the best way to prepare current affairs?

Apurva: Being regular with magazines & newspapers like I took help of Civil Services Chronicle & its special issues which helped me a lot.

Question: What was your plan for essay paper?

Apurva: There was no special effort for preparation, but while writing essay, you should not be too quick to pick up any topic. So, while deciding over it I took time and tried to articulate my answers.

Question: What about time management.

Apurva: Since I was doing law parallely it took a lot time but a regular and consistent schedule helped me.

Question: What was your strategy for Mains?

Apurva: For mains both the optionals were crucial and was to be done thoroughly, but for GS I read few books & certain selected topics etc.

Question: What should be criteria to select optional?

Apurva: It should be taken on basis of your own understanding rather than popularity. It helps you to articulate well. As in my case I chose law as my first optional.

Question: Tell me something about interview.

Apurva: It was cordial board. I was interviewed by IMG Khan Sir He was very interactive and supportive as well.

Question: What are your suggestions for the new comers?

Apurva: Be focused patient and determined. Work hard. It will surely yield the results. All the Best.

Question: How important is the length of answer?

Apurva: Not really But yes it shouldn’t be too short as it would not convey what you want to express.
5 Upsc Gyan: Apurva Dubey — A regular and consistent schedule helped clearing IAS Apurva Dubey has cleared Civil Service Examination 2012. This was her 2nd attempt and she got 19th rank. Her optional paper was Public...

General Studies Tricks